Thursday, February 5, 2009

A Letter to Bernie Madoff: The Angel

Mr. Madoff,

The other part of me has to write this. While I have never run anything near a hedge fund, I have found myself in moral qualms & clusterf*&^s. "What to do about this coffee situation!? Tell them it's decaf or hope that they won't notice?" * What is your explanation? Is there an explanation?

I have to wonder, did you find yourself in such a situation that you had no choice but to invest this way? Did you know you were setting this up? Is it inevitable at that level of pressure? I have heard time and again how insane the hedge fund market is, how stressful it is. 

Part of me doesn't care about how much pressure you were under, or what your reasoning was. IT WAS WRONG.  

I don't want to give you the benefit of the doubt. This is my attempt to give you a chance. I don't know much, but screwing people out of $50 billion requires a hell of an explanation. 

Yours,

The Begrudging Business Dilettante


Reader: Please contradict me and tell me this guy's a crook who knew what he was doing. 


*Note to my coworkers, that was a bad attempt at a moral qualm. You know I'd never fool you about coffee. 

1 comment:

  1. I have to say that, whereas I typically have a great deal of faith in the human race (some would say too much) I think that Mr. Madoff got greedy. I don't believe that he started out with the intention to rip people off - but maybe he did. I don't think that you can get this deeply entrenched in this sort of behavior without sitting down and planning on doing it.

    ReplyDelete